Photo by Scott Pickering

Monday, September 30, 2013

Creating A Percussion Part


Here's my first installment in response to John Homan's recent email (Sept. 9 post):  

Creating A Percussion Part      
If you find yourself composing a part from scratch, here are some questions that will aid the process.
When I discern the style of the music, I begin to think about the instruments that are common to that style  (while not limiting my thinking to only those instruments). 
  • Should I try to use only instruments that are common to that style?
  • Is this a situation where I am free to think outside the box? Will I be allowed to try some sounds not usually associated with this particular style?
If there is also a drum set player: 
  • Are the patterns coming from the drum set fairly standard patterns for that style or is the drummer trying something original? 
  • What instruments on the drum set are being played?  
  • What instruments,rhythms, and frequencies will complement the drum set part?
  • Where is the drummer playing a fill?  Where is the musically logical place for the percussion part to drop out before the fill? Where do I reenter after the fill?
  • Does the drum set ever drop out?  Would this be a good spot to add percussion or enter a bit later to give another element of interest?
If there is no drum set player (just lil’ ol’ me playing percussion):
  • Should my patterns be more standard or does the situation call for originality?
  • Do I need to play time throughout or are there sections where I can play “color” ...or drop out?
  • Are there highs, lows, or mid frequencies that are not being covered by the other instruments of the rhythm section?  Should I try to cover that area?
I am also listening to how the other instruments of the ensemble and the overall arrangement and orchestration.   
  • Where are the climaxes?  Are there breakdowns?
  • What percussion instruments, rhythms, and frequencies will complement the texture of the ensemble as a whole?
  • Are some fills at the ends of phrases being played by an instrument other that the drum set (bass, keyboard)?  Where are my exit and reentry points or do I play through the fill?
  • Do I really need to play in every section of the song?
  • Am I playing too much?
  • Could this song possibly work without percussion?
  • Does the music call for “groove percussion” or “coloristic percussion” or both?
  • Is my part interesting and enhancing without being distracting?
Stay tuned for Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment